Verse Case Study
Verse is a idea that I worked on during a part time course I took General Assembly. I took the course as a refresher and a way to identify gaps in my skill set at the time.
The problem statement
Verse came to life from a personal pain of missing out on gigs and shows that were happening around town.
Verse is a international database for music with a social aspect that allows its users to discover new and old music, bands, artists, venues, concerts, tickets and more. All your music information in one place and a way to quickly find concerts and buy tickets.
Was to follow a user centered design process over a 12 week program of work. During that time I performed user & market research, created persona's, content, information architecture, feature prioritisation, ideated, prototypes, wireframes, performed usability testing followed by branding and user interface design.
To ensure I knew what customers wanted in a product like mine I interviewed various people from different background, sent our surveys and used the insights gained from that research to develop persona's. The persona's quickly became a guiding artefact to ensure I always asked myself "would Ezra, Patrick & Alexa use need or want this?".
After I generated all the insights from the research, I was ready to start defining how my idea would take shape. I started by matching the content ideas I had and how they aligned to the insights and persona's.
Following that I defined the information architecture and iterated on it by performing a card sorting exercise with those I interviewed and members from the same class I was in.
After defining the content and information architecture the next step was to figure out what features Verse would have if we were to release a MVP.
Was to be landing page for the app and responsive web. From this screen users will be able to navigation, login, search and immerse in a what's happening feed based on your location, featured and nearby.
This page will show all information related to an artist, this page will include artist info, albums, songs, upcoming and past events and news. We were going to use open source API's to gather this content from various sources as well as creating content ourselves.
Would show all information relating to the event such as; venue, ticket and other information related to the event. From here customers would be able to purchase tickets, as a MVP it would use an iFrame pushing customers to the primary ticket resellers.
There were a number of attempts to design all the touch points of Verse and varied from post-it notes, hand drawn sketches, wireframes, user interface design and branding.
I think its important to stop yourself from jumping into a wireframing and/or a UI program straight away. When it is early in the process you can loose a lot of time designing things that are not really fundamental at this point. I went through a number of iterations making sure all the content and features that had been prioritised were laid out and had a logical path depending on the customer journey.
As iterations went on I performed guerilla testing on my paper prototypes, I soon started feeling more and more confident that my solution was usable. Due to that fact I started to refine my designs further, firstly into wireframes, a large wire-flow artefact and finally into final UI which was then prototyped and tested again.
Soon after validating my wireflows and before starting the user interface I felt it important that Verse had a logo. Starting with some concept sketches it quickly evolved into final artwork.